Care for your community, support your favorite cause, or invest in future generations. Learn about tax wise strategies that can benefit your estate or family.
Every generation needs a group of people willing to envision a change. And when you step up with the courage to see into the future and picture something better for your children and neighbors—your impact touches everyone.
The Community Foundation honors those who have made a planned estate gift by recognizing them as Legacy Society members. By joining our Legacy Society, you can be confident that your original intent will be honored and carried out exactly as you intend.
Benefits of a Community Foundation Legacy Fund
- Setting up a legacy gift with the Community Foundation is simple and deeply satisfying.
- Our expert staff will work with you, or your advisor to help you craft a plan to support your favorite organizations or causes – exactly as you intend, forever.
- When you join the Legacy Society you join a community of giving forward. You receive invitations to special events and opportunities to connect Community Foundation fundholders, donors and board, like-minded philanthropists committed to a better world.
- You can change your plan beneficiaries at no cost, as your philanthropic goals evolve.
- We will keep your plans confidential if you wish.
- You can provide for your family members and realize tax savings by creating a legacy fund.
Learn more about each of these options and how to get started in our fact sheet, Benefiting Charitable Causes in the Future.
Create a named Legacy Fund with a $25,000 minimum gift
The Community Foundation will gratefully accept bequest gifts of all sizes to established designated or area of interest funds.
Legacy Fund Fee
Your fund will be charged an administrative fee ranging between .05% to 1.5% annually of the average daily balance of the fund. The administrative fees will be reduced or adjusted, should the Fund exceed $1 million or other thresholds per the Fee and Fund Policy. Fees are calculated on the daily average fund balance for the most recent month and paid monthly by automatic deduction from the Fund balance.
Investing your fund
Legacy Funds grant timings are typically agreed upon when establishing the fund. Long-term investments work well for an endowed fund. Short term investments may be practical for a fund that will be granted out in a matter a year or a few years. You may also choose to invest a portion of your fund assets in our Impact Investment Fund. If endowed, an annual grant from invested earnings is arranged to be sent to benefit your chosen organizations in perpetuity, exactly as you intend. In this case, it is probable that your fund will grant out many times the amount of its original gift through sound investing.
An Ethical Will – The You, You leave behind
Read our 8-page handout online or call and we will mail you a copy. Will your loved ones and future generations know about you, or will they only know about the material things you leave behind? You have much more to give your heirs than just your money.
“The Community Foundation helps us make sure the communities we love will have resources to meet future demands.”