What would you do with $10,000?
As a participant of the High School Giving Circle, you can help give it all away!
What is important to you? Homelessness? Local conservation and climate change education? Bike paths on urban streets? More things for young people to do on the weekends? You can do something about it.
Apply to join the 2021 High School Giving Circle (HSGC) by Friday, September 10, 2021.
The Community Foundation of Northern Nevada High School Giving Circle decides the best use for $10,000 in grants to local nonprofit agencies.
Coming together once a week for 10 weeks after school, the HSGC members discuss what is important to them and how they want to help address needs in our community.
The Circle meets with non-profit leaders, solicits grant proposals, and asks hard questions. Then they decide (here is the tricky part) where to send the money.
Are you interested in joining the 2021 Circle? We are looking for high school students in grade 9-12 at Washoe County public, private, or home schools. There is no GPA requirement to apply and it costs you nothing to participate. Here is your chance to do something real. Do something important. Speak up – we are listening.
Want to learn more? Call the Community Foundation of Northern Nevada at 775-333-5499.
Highlights from some recent High School Giving Circle participants:
- “I learned about the impact my decisions have upon people. I never realized I could make a difference, but I have.”
- “It makes me a bit more optimistic. I admire the donor for the program given to us. I enjoyed thinking and talking about my views and opinions.”
- “I really enjoyed hearing about the needs of various nonprofits and how we could help.”
- “I enjoyed creating new friendships and knowing that I helped my community in a way that will make someone’s life easier for tomorrow.”
- “It was great working with others to determine what kind of Northern Nevada we want to see.”
- “Having the charities thank us at the end really made me feel like I had made an impact on the community. That gave me hope for a better world in the future.”
- “I really enjoyed the laughs and smiles with the others, and of course, donating the money to the charities and talking with them.”
- “Most of the discussions were very interactive, engaging, and felt very fulfilling! I really enjoyed them.”
- “I liked learning about all the different things in my community that I never knew about.”