The Meruelo Family Scholarship
The Meruelo Family Scholarship was established to provide support for dependents of Grand Sierra Resort & Casino and Sahara Las Vegas team members who are a graduating high school senior or who are enrolled in a college or advanced learning program.
The Meruelo Family Scholarship was established to provide support for dependents of Grand Sierra Resort & Casino and Sahara Las Vegas team members who are a graduating high school senior or who are enrolled in a college or advanced learning program. The qualifying Team Member must be a full-time employee at a qualifying property, have minimum one (1) year of employment, and be in good standing with the company at time of application.
A total of $25,000 will be awarded annually; $12,500 for dependents of Grand Sierra Resort & Casino team members and $12,500 for dependents of Sahara Las Vegas team members. Scholarship awards will be in the amount of $2,500 and will be distributed to any in-state college or university for the student's benefit upon confirmation of enrollment, and upon completing and signing a scholarship acceptance agreement. This scholarship is a one-time award, but is renewable with reapplication.
Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Parent must be: an employee of Grand Sierra Resort & Casino or Sahara Las Vegas for minimum of 1 year, employed to receive the award, in good standing with the company
- Graduating high school senior or current college student
- Be enrolled in or plan to enroll in a 2- or 4-year program and a college or university
- Minimum 2.8 GPA
- Demonstrate financial need
- Agree to maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 while enrolled in their educational program
In addition to completing this application, students must submit the following:
- Most recent high school or college transcript
- A 500 - 1,000 word essay telling the committee about yourself, your intended major and why you chose it, and why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship
- 1 letter of reference from current teacher or community leader
Meeting eligibility requirements does not guarantee a scholarship award will be granted.
The deadline to apply via this online application is May 6.
Questions? Please call the Community Foundation of Northern Nevada, 775-333-5499, or email Lauren Renda, Philanthropic Advisor, at email@example.com,