The Meruelo Family Scholarship
The Meruelo Family Scholarship was established to provide support for dependents of Grand Sierra Resort & Casino and SAHARA Las Vegas team members who are a graduating high school senior or who are enrolled in a college or advanced learning program.
The qualifying Team Member must be a full-time employee at a qualifying property, have a minimum of one (1) year of employment, and be in good standing with the company at the time of application.
A total of $40,000 will be awarded annually; $20,000 for dependents of Grand Sierra Resort & Casino team members and $20,000 for dependents of SAHARA Las Vegas team members. Five (5) awards in the amount of $3,000 and one (1) Diamond Scholarship award in the amount of $5,000 will be awarded by each property. Funds will be distributed to any college or university for the student's benefit upon confirmation of enrollment and upon completing and signing a scholarship acceptance agreement. This scholarship is a one-time award but is renewable with reapplication.
Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Parent must be an employee of Grand Sierra Resort & Casino or SAHARA Las Vegas for a minimum of 1 year, employed to receive the award, in good standing with the company
- Graduating high school senior or current college student
- Be enrolled in or plan to enroll in a 2- or 4-year program and a college or university
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Demonstrate financial need
- Agree to maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 while enrolled in their educational program
In addition to completing this application, students must submit the following:
- Most recent high school or college transcript
- A 500 - 1,000 word essay telling the committee about yourself, your intended major and why you chose it, and why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship
- 1 letter of reference from a current teacher or community leader
Meeting eligibility requirements does not guarantee a scholarship award will be granted.
The deadline to apply via this online application is April 5.