Job Type: Full-time time year of service through AmeriCorps VISTA
Program Dates: July 8, 2019, until July 9, 2020
Application Deadline: March 20, 2019
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Nick Tscheekar Contact Nick with any questions at 775-333-5499.
The Initiatives Associate will expand the capacity of the Community Foundation of Western Nevada’s Financial Abuse Initiative to bring victims of financial abuse out of poverty. The Community Foundation of Western Nevada’s Financial Abuse Initiative addresses fraud, scams, and other forms of harm. Financial abuse cases are typically underreported. However, there were 1,305 cases of elder abuse in Nevada that were reported by the Aging and Disability Services Division. The Financial Abuse Initiative is the Community Foundation’s newest initiative and is currently in its discovery phase. The Community Foundation is leading the Financial Abuse Initiative as a neutral convener by bringing together people who have been affected by financial abuse, nonprofits, government agencies, and other stakeholders to better understand financial abuse. During the discovery phase, a steering committee will determine which aspects of financial abuse to address and if the initiative should focus on a specific population (like elders who have been exploited). The Initiatives Associate will play a key role in working with the steering committee with identifying unmet needs, organizing community convenings, developing tangible solutions, and keeping residents engaged in the Financial Abuse Initiative.
- Organize community convenings to engage service providers, community stakeholders, and victims of financial abuse, to identify existing resources and determine what solutions are needed
- Manage communications, correspondence, and planning related to the Financial Abuse Initiative
- Recruit volunteers to serve on the Financial Abuse Initiative Steering Committee
- Develop collaborations with other organizations and coalitions addressing financial abuse
- Develop financial abuse resources based on community convening feedback in partnership with Steering Committee
- Fundraise for the Financial Abuse Initiative program costs as well as provide fundraising support to other local organizations serving this population
- Monitor and maintain records of other community efforts directed at financial abuse
- Analyze and communicate current and future challenges, ideas, and resources needed for initiative sustainability
- Create a procedure manual and transition plan for the Financial Abuse Initiative
- Commitment to the Community Foundation of Western Nevada’s mission and vision
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Preferred: experience facilitating meetings and building consensus
- Preferred: experience leading collaborative community efforts
The Collaboration Associate will complete one year of national service through AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America). AmeriCorps VISTA members build capacity in nonprofit organizations and public agencies to help them more effectively generate the commitment of private sector resources, encourage volunteer service at the local level, and empower individuals and communities. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve full time for one-year terms.
More information on AmeriCorps VISTA can be found at https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-vista
- $472.22 living allowance paid every 14 days
- At the conclusion of the service year, the Collaboration Associate VISTA will be eligible for the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award valued at $6,095 or the VISTA end-of-service cash stipend valued at $1,800.
- Mileage reimbursement rate of 58 cents per mile (excluding commuting)
- Healthcare Benefit: If insured, you can enroll in the AmeriCorps VISTA Healthcare Allowance, which covers out-of-pocket costs associated with healthcare. If uninsured, you are eligible to enroll in the AmeriCorps VISTA Health Benefit Plan at no cost. More information can be found at http://www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare
- 10 personal days
- 10 sick days
- May be eligible for childcare benefits if you have children under age 13
- Relocation travel assistance and settling-in allowance offered if traveling more than 50 miles for the service year
- Numerous options for training and development
- Eligible for one year of non-competitive eligibility for employment in the federal government following the completion of the service term
Please send a resume and cover letter to Nick Tscheekar. Contact Nick with any questions at 775-333-5499.