Job Type: Full-time time year of service through AmeriCorps VISTA
Program Dates: July 8, 2019, until July 8, 2020
Application Deadline: June 7, 2019
The Collaboration Associate will manage outreach for the Community Foundation of Western Nevada’s Caregiver Support Initiative. The Caregiver Support Initiative benefits unpaid family caregivers to seniors living in Washoe County Nevada by creating easy access to effective resources and support to promote caregiver knowledge, skills, and well-being. Based on a 2013 study, it is estimated 8,200 seniors in Washoe County are caring a for a senior family member. However, this is likely a conservative estimate. Additionally, many people who are not seniors also care for aging family members. Caregivers face social isolation, stress, and fatigue. 19% of caregivers report major debt due to caregiving responsibilities. The Community Foundation leads the Caregiver Support Initiative as a neutral convener, by collaborating with family caregivers, nonprofit organizations, government agencies, educational institutions, to move beyond quick fixes and develop measurable solutions. The Community Foundation has created two resources: WashoeCaregivers.org, an electronic database of 300 caregiving resources and the Washoe Caregivers Guidebook, an instructional manual on how to be a caregiver. The Collaboration Associate will build capacity by creating systems to connect caregivers with resources and developing strategies to improve caregiver wellbeing.
• Manage community outreach for Caregiver Support Initiative resources
• Conduct community presentations and training to family caregivers and area service providers
• Participate in community events to connect family caregivers and other stakeholders with resources
• Educate businesses about the caregiver toolkit and practices they can implement to benefit caregiver employees.
• Create a “caregiver friendly” business recognition program
• Coordinate Caregiver Support Initiative efforts with community stakeholders
• Create and maintain community collaborations
• Maintain initiative sustainability and evaluation
• Maintain knowledge and records of community resources for family caregivers
• Lead link campaigns for WashoeCaregivers.org
• Develop collaborations with other community organizations
• Recruit caregivers and other volunteers to serve on the steering committee
• Collect Washoe Caregivers evaluations and analyze results
• Create a transition plan for the Caregiver Support Initiative
• Commitment to the Community Foundation of Western Nevada’s mission and vision
• Bachelor’s degree
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Preferred: experience facilitating meetings and building consensus
• Preferred: experience leading collaborative community efforts
The Collaboration Associate will complete one year of national service through AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America). AmeriCorps VISTA members build capacity in nonprofit organizations and public agencies to help them more effectively generate the commitment of private sector resources, encourage volunteer service at the local level, and empower individuals and communities. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve full time for one-year terms.
More information on AmeriCorps VISTA can be found at https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-vista
• $472.22 living allowance paid every 14 days
• At the conclusion of the service year, the Collaboration Associate VISTA will be eligible for the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award valued at $6,095 or the VISTA end-of-service cash stipend valued at $1,800.
• Mileage reimbursement rate of 58 cents per mile (excluding commuting)
• Healthcare Benefit: If insured, you can enroll in the AmeriCorps VISTA Healthcare Allowance, which covers out-of-pocket costs associated with healthcare. If uninsured, you are eligible to enroll in the AmeriCorps VISTA Health Benefit Plan at no cost. More information can be found at http://www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare
• 10 personal days
• 10 sick days
• May be eligible for childcare benefits if you have children under age 13
• Relocation travel assistance and settling-in allowance offered if traveling more than 50 miles for the service year
• Numerous options for training and development
• Eligible for one year of non-competitive eligibility for employment in the federal government following the completion of the service term
Please send a resume and cover letter to Nick Tscheekar at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact Nick with any questions at 775-333-5499.