Ron Smith, MD (2nd left) and Heather Smith (right) congratulate two winners of the Ron and Linda Smith Family Scholarship.
The Smith Family Scholarship helps re-entry and non-traditional students succeed.
The Smith family has benefitted greatly from higher education and place a high value on the pursuit of education and training. Recognizing the costs involved in obtaining an education to expand one’s work opportunities, they are pleased to be able to assist others in support of their educational goals.
The Ron & Linda Smith Family Scholarship is offered to Northern Nevada residents attending Truckee Meadows Community College, Western Nevada College, or Great Basin College, who are pursuing a degree or certificate program, or who are enrolled in a vocational program at a qualifying vocational school. This is a one-time award of up to $1,000, with the potential to be renewed with reapplication.
The Smith Family Scholarship is designed for a student who:
- is a U.S. Citizen
- is a graduating high school senior or non-traditional student
- has a high school diploma or equivalency
- has a minimum 3.2 unweighted cumulative GPA
- is a resident of Northern Nevada
- is pursuing a degree or certificate from TMCC, WNC, or GBC; or is enrolled in a vocational program
- agrees to maintain a minimum 2.5 grade point average and provide a copy of unofficial transcripts at the end of each semester they are receiving a scholarship
Along with this application, you’ll be required to attach:
- a 400-word essay that tells the selection committee about your goals and how this scholarship will help you achieve them, where you see yourself five years from now, how your education will be a value to the community, and anything you want known that is not apparent in the rest of this application
- copy of high school transcript/equivalency
The deadline to apply via the online application is April 30th.