Below are helpful tips to avoid falling victim to “Romance Scams.”
This information is provided by the Community Foundation’s Preventing Financial Scams Initiative.
Tips for Protecting Yourself from Romance Scams
- Never send money or gifts to someone you have not met in person.
- Be incredibly cautious of people saying they need money for emergency expenses.
- Be on guard if a person is “working abroad” or is from another country.
- Meet the person you have connected with in-person within five days.
- People who confess love quickly are normally scammers.
- Scammers will ask you to create a new bank account to commit online bank fraud. Scammers will deposit stolen money into the new account and ask you to wire money out of the country.
- Have a healthy skepticism with people you meet online, even if they are charming.
- If you suspect someone is an imposter online, ask someone you trust for their opinion.
- If using Google Chrome, verify if the person’s photo is real by right clicking their photo and selecting “Search Google for image.” If the photo appears on other sites with a different name, it is probably being used as a scam.
- Limit the personal information you share online. Keep your communication limited to the dating site or in person.
Reporting the Scam
- Filing a report can help others from getting scammed and can assist law enforcement with stopping scammers.
- Contact your bank immediately if you suspect you sent money to a scammer.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at https://ReportFraud.ftc.gov/# or the FBI at https://ic3.gov
- Report the incident to the dating site.
The Community Foundation of Northern Nevada, a 501 (c) 3 organization, is established to strengthen communities in our region through leadership and philanthropy. The information provided on this flyer does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this flyer are for general informational purposes only.
Rev. November 2021
View this 90-second video on Romance Scam Tips