Below are helpful tips to avoid falling victim to “Charity Scams.”
This information is provided by the Community Foundation’s Preventing Financial Scams Initiative.
Tips to Protect Yourself from Charity Scams
- You are pressured into donating right away.
- You are asked to give cash, prepaid debit cards, or wire money.
- Refuses to share information about the organization’s mission and background and does not answer your calls.
- Will not verify that your donation is tax-deductible and will not provide a gift receipt.
- Cannot provide details on how your information will be used.
What to do
- Ask for contact information for the charity and research them or search for the charity in the resources below.
- Call the charity directly to verify if the solicitation was legitimate.
- Filing a report can help others from getting scammed and can assist law enforcement with stopping scammers.
- Community Foundation of Northern Nevada | Phone: 775-333-5499
- Guidestar | https://www.guidestar.org
- Charity Navigator | https://www.charitynavigator.org
- Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance | http://www.give.org
- IRS Tax Exempt Organization Search | https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos
- Report the scam with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by calling their Consumer Response Center at 1-877-382-4357 or visiting https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#. ammers.
The Community Foundation of Northern Nevada, a 501 (c) 3 organization, is established to strengthen communities in our region through leadership and philanthropy. The information provided on this page does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this page are for general informational purposes only.
Rev. November 2021