The Community Foundation’s Preventing Charity Scams Initiative protects our community
Tips to Protect Yourself from Charity Scams
Join the Virtual Coffee and Conversation about Preventing Financial Scams
June 30, 10 AM to Noon, Details and Zoom Link Registration
Scammers pull at your heartstrings and pocket all or most of your donation.
- You are pressured into donating right away
- You are asked to give cash, prepaid debit cards or wire money
- The nonprofit refuses to share information about the organization’s mission and background and does not answer your calls
- The organization will not verify that your donation is tax-deductible and will not provide a gift receipt
- Cannot provide details on how your information will be used
What you can do:
- Ask for contact information for the charity and research them or search for the charity in the resources below.
- Call the charity directly to verify if the solicitation was legitimate.
- Community Foundation of Northern Nevada Phone: 775-333-5499
- Guidestar https://www.guidestar.org/
- Charity Navigator https://www.charitynavigator.org/
- Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance http://www.give.org/
- IRS Tax Exempt Organization Search https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Call their Consumer response Center at 1-877-382-4357 Visit: https://ftc.gov/complaint
The Community Foundation of Western Nevada, a 501 (c) 3 organization, is established to strengthen communities in our region through leadership and philanthropy. The information provided on this page does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this page are for general informational purposes only.