Protect yourself from charity scams. They pull at your heartstrings and pocket all or most of your donation.
The Community Foundation’s Preventing Financial Scams Initiative protects our community.
|Join the Virtual Coffee and Conversation about Preventing Financial Scams
June 30, 10 AM to Noon, Details and Zoom Link Registration
Below are some tips on charity scams.
• You are pressured into donating right away
• You are asked to give cash, prepaid debit cards or wire money
• The nonprofit refuses to share information about the organization’s mission and background and does not answer your calls
• The organization will not verify that your donation is tax-deductible and will not provide a gift receipt
• Cannot provide details on how your information will be used
What you can do:
• Ask for contact information for the charity and research them or search for the charity in the resources below.
• Call the charity directly to verify if the solicitation was legitimate.
Community Foundation of Western Nevada
Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance
Tax Exempt Organization Search https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/
Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
Call their Consumer response Center at 1-877-382-4357
The Community Foundation of Western Nevada, a 501 (c) 3 organization, is established to strengthen communities in our region through leadership and philanthropy. The information provided on this page does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this page are for general informational purposes only.