- 5pounds (about 10 medium or 5 large) sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- ⅓ to ½cup maple syrup
- ¾cup sour cream or créme fraîche
- 4teaspoons purée from canned chipotles
- 1 ½teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- Put oven rack in middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Place potatoes on large baking sheet and bake until soft, 35 to 40 minutes for medium potatoes, up to 1 hour for large.
- Meanwhile, combine syrup, sour cream or créme fraîche, chipotle purée, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- When potatoes are tender, remove from oven and slice in two lengthwise. Scoop hot flesh into a potato ricer or food mill, and purée into bowl with other ingredients. Stir with rubber spatula to combine. Potatoes should be light and fluffy. Taste for seasoning, transfer to warm serving bowl and serve immediately.