You have made it less daunting to call and ask for help on caregiving resources!
I am trying to figure out how to manage this total emergence into caregiving. Your help and the guidebook you referred me to has helped enormously. I realized that as I read the guidebook, I was on the right track.
Sally Bates, Family Caregiver
The Caregiver Support Initiative is directed at the needs of unpaid family caregivers to seniors.
The Caregiver Support Initiative helps unpaid family caregivers to seniors in our local community. The initiative is directed by a steering committee – many of whom are family caregivers and service providers. Their dedication to the initiative while volunteering time to do outreach work helped us successfully distribute 14,000 copies of the Guidebook in the community. The initiative resource website, WashoeCaregivers.org was visited by 300 unique visitors on average each month in 2019.
With the Caregiver Support Initiative in its mature stages, 2019 efforts expanded outreach and publicity about the free resources we created from the initiative: the Washoe Caregivers Guidebook, WashoeCaregivers.org, and the Caregiver Employee Toolkit. During a reconvening in 2018, family caregivers shared that they found the resources helpful, but more people needed to know about them. Numerous stakeholders were contacted throughout 2019 and more caregivers were reached.
The outreach goal was to present to 20 organizations about the Washoe Caregivers Guidebooks and WashoeCaregivers.org.
This goal was met as the initiative staff and volunteers presented to the following 30 organizations in the community:
- Kiwanis Downtown Sparks
- Project Vet Connect
- Little Flower Church
- Inter-Hospital Coordinating Council
- Reno Tahoe Young Professional Network Nonprofit Night
- Summit View Hospice
- Downtown Rotary
- Assistance League University Training
- Older Americans Month Kickoff
- Community Hospice of Northern Nevada
- Mary’s Health Fair
- Infinity Hospice Care
- Comfort Keepers
- Free Masons
- NNHRA Breakfast
- Coffee Connections in Carson City
- NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People)
- Veterans Administration
- Midtown Reno Rotary
- Stone Valley Assisted Living and Memory Care
- Senior Service Network
- Maxim Healthcare Services
- TFAD (Task Force on Alzheimer’s Disease)
- Washoe County Senior Services
- Veterans Guest House
- Heartrock Care
- Nevada Money Mentors at UNR
- NV Energy
The second goal was to broaden distribution outlets for the Guidebooks to businesses where caregivers would most likely frequent.
We reached out to the pharmacies CVS, Walgreens, and Costco for distribution of the Guidebooks and received approval from each pharmacy to place the Guidebooks in their stores where customers, many of them caregivers, can pick them up easily.
To create a bigger reach for the Caregiver Support Initiative’s target audience, the Community Foundation ran promotions of the Caregiver Support Initiative through Google banner ads, as well as radio promotions for the Washoe Caregivers website with a 15 and 30-second spot on KKOH and KBUL with seniors as their highest demographic group.
Caregivers in the Workforce – Caregiver Employee Toolkit
The Caregiver Employee Toolkit makes addresses caregivers in the workforce. We realized that there are plenty of caregivers who work fulltime with their needs going unnoticed. We created the Caregiver Employee Toolkit to serve as an assessment tool for HR personnel and business owners to see if their work environment is caregiver friendly. The Toolkit also shares practices that employers can implement to support their caregiving employees. As part of the Caregiver Support Initiative outreach, we have presented the Toolkit to organizations in the community such as Custom Ink, Dolan Auto Group, Harley Davidson Financing, Applied Companies, Dickson Realty, and Heritage Bank. There is no current evaluation set in process for the Toolkit.
Evaluation: Local caregivers evaluated the effectiveness and of WashoeCaregivers.org and the Washoe Caregivers Guidebook
Washoe Caregivers Guidebook
- 14,000 copies of the Guidebooks have been distributed in our local community.
- After reading the Guidebooks, 81% said their knowledge increased after reading the Guidebooks.
- 95% said they would recommend the Guidebook to another caregiver.
- 79% said that they will be able to provide better care to a family member after reading the Guidebook.
- 97% said they would recommend the Guidebook to another caregiver
- 94% recommend the guidebook to another caregiver
- 59% plan to improve the safety of their home
- Knowledge of caregiving increased by 37% on average after reading the Guidebook
- 82% feel more prepared to communicate with health care professionals
- 70% said they were able to find the resources they were looking for on WashoeCaregivers.org
- 54% of caregivers found the resources that made it easier to be a caregiver
- 61% stated the website decreased the amount of time they spent looking for resources
- 28% said they are less stressed after finding resources and ca provide better care to their family member
- 36% found a resource that enhanced their family member’s life
- 18% found a resource that improved their lives as caregivers
- Knowledge of caregiving resources increased by 14% on average after visiting WashoeCaregivers.org
- 21% said they WashoeCaregivers.org did not have an effect on the quality of their caregiving
“Continue the good work, finally a comprehensive guide for resources.”
“This is a great resource.”
“I am less stressed now and can provide better care.”
“Keep up this important work and keep working to improve and do more outreach to the community – including more publicity!”