Disaster Relief Organizations and Funds
As our region and our world are being impacted by fires, natural disasters and humanitarian crises, we recognize that we are all part of our global community. Below is a partial list of funds and organizations working to provide aid, relief, and support our regional and global community of neighbors. You can also download/print the list as a PDF.
Additionally, here are some tips for disaster giving from the Center for Disaster Philanthropy.
Check back on this page for updates. To make a donation through your Donor Advised Fund, email Lyndsey Crossley or Lauren Renda, Philanthropic Advisors with the Community Foundation, or call them at (775) 333-5499, ext. 12 or 24, respectively.
- El Dorado Community Foundation - Caldor Fire Fund has been established to support the families impacted by this fire. All donations to the Caldor Fire Fund will be unrestricted and 100% of donation will go to support those affected
- The American Red Cross of Northern California, is currently operating three shelters for victims of the Caldor Fire. For residents who would like to help, the Red Cross requests monetary donations rather than physical donations to the shelter, as staff at shelters are occupied helping evacuated residents.
- The Salvation Army: Teams from the Salvation Army are currently preparing and serving meals at two Caldor Fire shelters; they are currently equipped to serve 270 meals per day to Caldor Fire evacuees. To support its work, the Salvation Army asks residents to donate to its Wildfire Relief Fund. Donations go to food assistance as well as financial assistance for evacuees and other necessary wildfire needs.
Dixie Fire Relief Organizations
- Dixie Fire Fund at Community Foundation of Northern Nevada: Visit our website. The Dixie Fire Fund has been established to provide emergency hardship support and community disaster relief assistance to those impacted by the July 13, 2021, Dixie Fire, the largest wildfire in California history.
- Salvation Army - Del Oro Division Emergency Disaster Relief 100% of your gift goes toward disaster readiness, direct support for evacuees and first responders of the next disaster, plus long-term recovery.
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy, California Wildfires Recovery Fund Supports communities across the state as they work to rebuild and recover from wildfires. Since its inception, CDP has awarded more than $3 million in grants to nonprofits and community groups in northern and southern California to help families and entire communities recover through targeted grantmaking that prioritizes medium- to long-term recovery especially among vulnerable populations.
- United Way of Southeast Louisiana - Hurricane Ida Relief Fund, in partnership with WWL-TV, supports immediate relief efforts, long-term rebuilding and community grants to help other organizations provide recovery.
- Catholic Charities of Acadiana is deploying staff, assets, volunteer teams and other resources to directly support the most affected areas in South Louisiana. Your gift allows Catholic Charities of Acadiana to provide immediate disaster response to survivors of Hurricane Ida, as well as long-term recovery assistance
- Americares Maintains an emergency pharmacy stocked with essential medicines, vaccines and medical supplies and have contacted more than two dozen partner clinics in Louisiana and Mississippi . Americares is prepared to provide grants to damaged healthcare centers serving low-income and uninsured residents, as well as having professional relief workers ready to respond. Donations will be matched
- American Red Cross: Your hurricane relief donation helps communities before, during and after a hurricane
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy- Atlantic Hurricane Season Recovery Fund
Haiti Earthquake Disaster Relief
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy, Haiti Earthquake Recovery Fund Support the medium- and long-term needs of earthquake-affected people and communities.
- UNICEF is working with its partners in Haiti to assist children and families in need. The organization says it has sent more than 30,000 medical kits with more health, water, and sanitation supplies on the way.
- Partners in Health As the largest non-governmental healthcare provider in Haiti, PIH is deploying staff and supplies, and providing trauma and emergency care.
- CARE Haitian Crisis Fund Donations help provide tens of thousands of vulnerable Haitians with emergency food, health services, and shelter. Donations will be matched.
Support for Afghanistan, Human Rights/Resettlement
- Northern Nevada International Center NNIC has received a surge of requests are working with federal partners to assist in the evacuation and resettlement of Special Immigrant Visas holders (individuals who helped U.S. military) in Northern Nevada. There are a number of pending cases in their pipeline. NNIC seeks our community’s support over the next weeks and months as they resettle some of these families, including volunteering for airport pick-ups, appointments, housing, food, furniture, and financial assistance.
- Women for Afghan Women WAW is dedicated to protecting and promoting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and the U.S., working to provide safe shelter, resources, and aid to the thousands of women, children, families, and staff who are under their care.
- International Rescue Committee The IRC warns that increased conflict could spell tragedy for Afghanistan, where 18 million people are already in dire need of humanitarian assistance. Donations allow the IRC to deliver comprehensive help to people affected by humanitarian crises and will be used where and when most needed.
- CARE Afghanistan Humanitarian Fund Providing emergency aid to displaced Afghan families. Donations will be matched.
- Global Fund for Women Aims to support and fund gender justice groups on the ground to continue their crucial human rights work, as well as to protect and relocate women human rights defenders who are in danger. Global Fund for Women has supported grassroots groups working for women’s human rights in Afghanistan for over two decades and will continue to support partners working for gender justice in Afghanistan and the greater region today, tomorrow, and in the years to come.
- Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights Partners with women’s movements worldwide to support women’s human rights defenders striving to create cultures of justice, equality, and peace. They rapid response grants that enable strategic interventions and participate in collaborative advocacy and research. Urgent Action Fund Asia & Pacific (UAF A&P) to support safety measures and relief efforts for Afghan women, girls, and gender nonbinary human rights defenders and activists.
- Too Young to Wed TYTW is currently working to arrange the safe evacuation of 160 high-risk female Afghan journalists, activists and their families, taking care to keep them together as much as possible during the arduous asylum process.