August 31, 2017: In light of Hurricane Harvey’s widespread devastation in Texas and Louisiana, Program Officer Lauren Renda researched organizations that are addressing the most pressing needs in the most effective way. The consensus is that cash donations are most needed; funding will be needed for years to come, not just weeks or months.
Below are 5 of the Community Foundation of Western Nevada official recommendations to aid victims of Hurrican Harvey. Please feel free to share with those looking for ways to help.
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund at The Greater Houston Community Foundation (recommended by Funder’s Network)
- Works to connect donors with a network of nonprofits and innovative solutions in the social sector to address the most pressing needs of flood victims.
- Mail To: Greater Houston Community Foundation
5120 Woodway Drive, Suite 6000, Houston, TX 77056
Memo Line: Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund
Donate online: https://ghcf.org/hurricane-relief/
- The Dallas Foundation- Hurricane Harvey Disaster Relief Fund
- Donations to the fund will be directed to nonprofit organizations providing aid to victims of the storm. The Dallas Foundation’s Community Philanthropy team will work closely with their nonprofit partners and foundation colleagues along the Texas Coast to identify the greatest needs.
Mail to: The Dallas Foundation
3963 Maple Avenue, Suite 390, Dallas, Texas 75219
Memo line: Hurricane Harvey Disaster Relief Fund
Donate online: https://www.dallasfoundation.org/in-the-media-article.aspx?id=49
- San Antonio Food Bank
- In emergency response mode to support the local and statewide needs resulting from the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. Material Donations: most wanted items are nonperishable food, water, baby food, diapers, flashlights and batteries, hygiene items, and cleaning supplies; Clothing Donations: Our most needed clothing items are men’s and women’s tops, pants, socks, and undergarments. All clothing donations must be NEW.
- Mail to: Jessi Fasola, Manager of Individual Giving
San Antonio Food Bank
5200 Enrique M. Barrera Pkwy, San Antonia, TX 78227
Donate online: https://safoodbank.org/
- The Center for Disaster Philanthropy- Hurricane Harvey Recovery Fund
- Strategy emphasizes “investing well rather than investing quickly, addressing the greatest needs and gaps in funding that may be yet to emerge.”
- Mail to: Center for Disaster Philanthropy
1201 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20036
Donate online: https://disasterphilanthropy.networkforgood.com/
- United Way of Greater Houston
- 100% of your gift to the United Way Relief Fund goes to help our neighbors and our community recover from Hurricane Harvey. United Way’s first priority will be safety, shelter and basic needs, like food. Once the community is stabilized, United Way will focus on long-term recovery efforts. United Way already maintains a disaster relief fund but anticipates the needs of Harvey will far exceed those existing resources.
- Mail to: United Way of Greater Houston
50 Waugh Drive, Houston, TX 77007
Memo line: United Way Relief Fund
Donate Online: https://www.unitedwayhouston.org/flood/flood-donation/
Media Contact: Margaret Stewart